Alijaz Skorjanec, 29, is a name many people will associate with Strictly Come Dancing. This only scratches the surface of his career, however. He is a 19-time Slovenian champion in Ballroom, Latin and Ten Dance. A couple of months back, the performer faced an altogether different challenge when he sustained a crippling injury while on tour with Here Come The Boys alongside fellow Strictly stars Giovanni Pernice and Gorka Marquez.
Can’t put into words how gutted I am
The star took to Instagram to tell his followers what had happened.
He said: “For the first time ever I couldn’t complete the show last night.
I rolled my ankle during the first act and damaged ligaments on my left foot.
“I need to give my foot a rest for a few days so I can be back to my normal self as quick as possible!”
Aljaz continued: “Can’t put into words how gutted I am and so sorry for letting you down. You will be in the best hands with my brothers Giovanni and Gorka.”
A rolled ankle, also known as a sprain and strains, is injuries affecting the muscles and ligaments, according to the NHS.
There are a number warning signs that indicate a sprain or strain.
- Experiencing pain, tenderness or weakness – often around the ankle, foot, wrist, thumb, knee, leg or back
- The injured area is swollen or bruised
- A person cannot put weight on the injury or use it normally
- They have muscle spasms or cramping – where their muscles painfully tighten on their own
As the NHS explained, for the first couple of days, people should follow the four steps known as RICE therapy to help bring down swelling and support the injury:
- Rest – stop any exercise or activities and try not to put any weight on the injury
- Ice – apply an ice pack (or a bag of frozen vegetables wrapped in a tea towel) to the injury for up to 20 minutes every 2 to 3 hours
- Compression – wrap a bandage around the injury to support it
- Elevate – keep it raised on a pillow as much as possible
The health body added: “To help prevent swelling, try to avoid heat (such as hot baths and heat packs), alcohol and massages for the first couple of days.
“When you can move the injured area without pain stopping you, try to keep moving it so the joint or muscle does not become stiff.”
It usually takes two weeks to recover from most sprains and strains.
People should avoid strenuous exercise such as running for up to eight weeks, as there’s a risk of further damage, said the NHS.
“Severe sprains and strains can take months to get back to normal,” it added.
Aljaz’s instagram post was met with an outpouring of support from his fans and Strictly co-stars.
Giovanni wrote: “Get well soon brother!! Love ya,” while Gorka said: “We love you!!”
Aljaz’s wife and Strictly star Janette Manrara added: “I love you baby! Cuddles as soon as I get home!” Neil Jones told Aljaz: “Bro recover well,” and Amy Dowden put: “Get well soon! Rest up!!”
Source: Read Full Article